[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - Update, September 29

Update, September 29

For discussion of the web comic!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

Update, September 29

Postby Kris@WLP » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:02 pm

Incidentally, yes, we skipped last week due to AWA; we'd hoped to put SOMETHING up, but we didn't have any connection at all over the weekend.

Such flubs might well be why there's been no donation to PitW since April 25...
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby UberMan5000 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:16 pm

Boy, that Mr. Hazen certainly is a serpent-tongued sonuvabitch. And quite a suspicious type, too; who still wears bowties anymore?

As for the nudie page: WOO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT! :D
UberMan5000
Huge tracts o'land

Postby kitwulfen » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:34 pm

My offer to revamp the PitW webpage - as well as install and configure such amenities as software to auto-update the comic - still stands. Though considering I'm in the middle of getting ready to move, it might take me a little while.

ETA: It would also avoid things like the "Previous Comic" button linking to 097.html instead of 098.html.
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.
kitwulfen
Button popping

Postby Happygun » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:16 am

So much to comment upon...

Sarah's father's quite the muckraker, isn't he? Then again, there IS a kernel of truth in his accusations this time. Only he's right for all the wrong reasons. I'm wondering...is he by any chance a sort of self-parody of Kris?

As for Sarah...well, Looks like the body's on the other shoulder...for now anyways. Takin' bets on how long she can hold out!

And wow! Kramer does have a congenial relationship with someone! By the sound of it she spends a lot of time at the shop. Considering the alternatives I don't blame her. And (surprise surprise) she does a have a vulnerable side! Hurray for rounded characters!

And uh, I'd donate if I had any money.
Happygun
Violating the law of gravity

Postby Wakinyan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:19 am

I just looked at the last panel and the ending theme of the Hulk TV show just started playing.

For those who might not know what I am talking about listen to this as you look at the panel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPngawdDa_c

:lol:
Wakinyan
Button popping

Postby darkecofreak23 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:24 am

I swear I've never seen someone so straight-laced since Malvolio in Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night". And Sarah's Dad makes Malvolio look like a nice guy. I know Daddy's about to get a rude awakening, though.
darkecofreak23
Sweater stretching

Postby ProphetTenebrae » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:21 am

Seems like he's the kind of father that all boyfriends are dread to meet, amusing that Sarah is getting wound up by it though.

The whole Butch Kramer thing is interesting... girl's got issues.

ProphetTenebrae
Huge tracts o'land

Postby Dvandom » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:24 pm

As evidenced by Peter's personality sprite, dealing with the Dad From Hell is well within his skillset. Being pack omega gets one accustomed to that sort of thing.

---Dave
Dvandom
Huge tracts o'land

Postby manx » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:14 am

While on the subject of donations...

personally, if your looking to make the comic prompt. What you could do is instead of having the comic up once every week. Have it up once every two weeks. That way it'll be easier to be more prompt and you might get more donations.

If you always try to handle too much, then it all usually collapses on you...
manx
Huge tracts o'land

Postby Happygun » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:08 pm

I dunno...two weeks is pushing it even for a full page comic. The story crawls along so slowly it's hard to keep interest. And if you miss a post date you risk losing a lot of readers.

One option would be to have a bonus comic series running parallel to the main PitW plot. The bonus comic would be available to everybody, but it would only progress when a donation goal is met. I know Kris tried something similar with Chibi-chan and it failed, but PitW seems to be a bit more popular. Furthermore, the fact that the bonus comic would have a plot would encourage readers to donate to see what happens next. This donation system has worked well for as you can

A compromise would be to shift the main PitW storyline to a bimonthly update schedule and institute the bonus comic system. That way the story isn't being "held hostage" but donations could still be used as an incentive.[/url]
Happygun

Postby Kris@WLP » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:41 pm

Weekly is the least schedule I'll propose for comics; I'd prefer M-W-F or twice-weekly if any of the artists could do it, but they all have their own lives to lead and commissions to draw.
www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby bar1scorpio » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:20 pm

Well, if you'd like we could also start posting in-progress stuffs from say, Aniem Next, or Youmacon in here as well, to show off everything else that keeps me from a regular schedule.

And if we were to add another page... i'd like a whole new strip. Like a western, or something.
"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Kris@WLP » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:04 pm

Bear in mind that it's taken two years and nine months to get within six pages of the end of the first DAY of the story for PitW.

I think, before going off onto new stories, speeding up the story we've got would be preferable, were it possible. As it is, though, you're doing two pages per week MOST weeks of late...
www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby bar1scorpio » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:35 pm

And sporadic bursts of action... not particularly 'action' in the adults-only sense, but in the 'more than people just sitting around talking'. I mean... wow. The first half of chapter 4, and almost all of chapter 5 has been in-story exposition! Kinda disquieting.
"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Happygun » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:11 pm

Well, PitW is drawn in manga style, and anime is all about short bursts of action followed by endless hours of exposition and commentary. It's appropriate, if annoying.
Happygun

Postby Kris@WLP » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:27 am

I'd like to hope that the character interaction scenes aren't all THAT annoying...
www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Ganthan » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:06 pm

One thing I don't like about the artistic style of the comic now is the rubbery exaggeration of people's facial expressions, especially in today's strips. Both Sarah and her dad just look so... twisted up.

Is Mrs. Hewitt a were herself or just a human in on the secret? Or is it neither and the tail Butch seems to have while being in front of her just another of those "visual metaphors" that this comic does a lot?
I believe in no God, no invisible man in the sky.
-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

...and don't forget the ponies.
Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby K-MacK » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:16 pm

Sarah looks like she's getting ready to either explode or tell her father to get out of the house. With the Moon due to rise, she doesn't have much time before the Wuff makes her appearance...and the Wuff likes Peter, and thinks her father is a pain in the...tail. He seems to be poster boy for every "Conspiracy Theory" out there; and I'll wager his voice is that mixture of self righteousness and whine that gets on anyone's nerves.
Much as it doesn't surprise me, Sarah's father has worse manners than Deputy Cramer, and that takes some doing. :shock: :x
Now...is the Sheriff gonna show up, or will Peter grow a backbone (handy, having one of those) and stand up to the windbag? Something's gonna happen-Kris and Bar-1 have set things up too carefully for it not to. :wink:

And who'd have thunk that Rebecca would be a sympathetic character? The last few panels show her to be a very lonely young werewolf.
Gathan- I don't think Ms. Hewitt would be considering entering Butch in some television competition if she were either a Were' or a friend of the Pack. That would be the last thing that either person would do, knowing Rebecca's father. So...the tail is probably metaphor (or metaphive). :roll:

Great work and now, one suspects, the fun will begin :twisted:
KMacK...
"You don't have to be invisible when everybody is looking the wrong way..."
Writing the series "Wulfen Blood"... getting ready for publication.
K-MacK

Postby kitwulfen » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:14 am

Or, the tail is really there. Remember, people have seen werewolves running down main street. They just don't believe they have seen werewolves running down main street, because werewolves don't exist.

"I didn't just see my employee with a tail. People don't have tails. I've never seen her with a tail before. It must just be a figment of my imagination. Look, it's gone now. No tail."
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.
kitwulfen
Button popping

Postby bar1scorpio » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:12 am

a bit of the last of her transformation disappearing.
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Nanaki001 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:22 pm

Nanaki001
Sweater stretching

Postby Happygun » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:21 pm

I wouldn't say perverted. That implies her actions and preferences would be considered sexually deviant by society at large, and aside from the newly acquired taste for fur - understandable considering the circumstances - she doesn't seem at all interested in doing anything like, say, jumping into a vat of Pepto Bismol with Peter - wearing sailor's hats - and taking turns shaving each other's backs. She's just a) a teenager and b) a werewolf, and therefore, horny has hell.
Last edited by Happygun on Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happygun

Postby LoupGarou » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:17 am

I think that Rebecca, now that she has gotten within an inch of losing her life via thrall induced cranial removal, having the "mate" that she wanted so badly, also lost to that same thrall, and realizing that there is no way she is going to beat Sarah, or win/get Peter back, has finally been overcome by a defeatist attitude. She has basically had her spirit broken and now realizes that she is not the biggest, baddest Were on the block anymore. Her hopeful "Alphaness" just got reduced to Beta, or even Omega in a day or so, and I can only imagine what her father would have to say about the matter. Personally, now that the (C yoU Next Tuesday) mentality that Rebecca had, has been knocked out of her, she is turning out to be a rather likable character. Who knows though, she could end up trying to create her own thrall for either herself, or to hopefully try to keep Sarah away from Peter. Right now, I think we are just seeing the "poor dejected me, I've just lost everything" mentality in her. She needed to be taken down a notch or two, and Sarah did a fine job of that.

This also opens up a lot of future possibilities with Sarah becoming a future pack leader along with Peter. Seeing how a lot of the females in this society are the "calm temperament of control" over their husbands, Sarah might fit in well as the role of Alpha along with Peter, even though it is Peter that keeps the "calm temperament of control" over her (at least for right now).

Take care, and keep up the good work.

Loup
LoupGarou
Feeling strange

Postby bar1scorpio » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:02 pm

bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Happygun » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:33 pm

Happygun

Next

Return to Peter is the Wolf