[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - So am I the only one...

So am I the only one...

For discussion of the web comic!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

So am I the only one...

Postby MrCelsius » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:23 am

...who doesn't find it amusing that the current story arc is lulzing over the main character being literally put in the doghouse by his partner because he was raped? Rapist gets dramatic emo moment of catharsis because she was abused, rape victim gets thrown out of his home. No, wait, I get it now. That's hilarious.
MrCelsius
Just getting started

Postby Usdom » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:15 am

We might care more if peter seemed at all, in any way effected, but the way he's acting it seems like just another day in the weird life of peter to him. I think he was less worried about the sex than he was the death that would come as a consequence of the sex.

Sex to a werewolf is much less dramatic than it is for a human. Animals rape other animals all the time in nature as well. Pods of dolphins gang rape other dolphins, stunned sharks and even humans. In some parts of nature it's the way things are. He could just have a instinct that prevents it from being drama. He is, after all, the pack omega. It could be his "Place" in the natural order to take the crap that everyone does to him. He could be fulfilling his role in pack society. If so, he's done a bang up job so far.

On a human level, he seems to keep a very happy-go-lucky attitude about things. It happened and he can't change it happening so he moved on. Now what may boil up later as a result of this should be interesting.
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.

~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Usdom
Mountain climbing

Postby bar1scorpio » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:40 pm

"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Sling » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Sling
Feeling strange

Postby Happygun » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Happygun
Violating the law of gravity

Re: So am I the only one...

Postby Blackjoker » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:04 pm

One by one the penguins steal my sanity
Blackjoker
Button popping

Postby DeathWyrmNexus » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:46 am

Ya know, like yourself, I registered just to post here about this. It has been bugging me every since it posted and I get reminded of the annoyance every time I check for updates.

Here is the thing people. Peter being used to being Omega isn't a free pass to say it is okay if he is raped. Him not acting immediately dejected isn't a free pass to say that raping him is "okay." To be honest, we haven't gotten much in the way of pathos from him in this regard. After the rape, we have Sarah slapping him and throwing a fit. Then we have him being kicked out of the house. Then we have his parents treating him like a pet. While I find his ability to roll with it to be... No, I can't put a positive spin on that.

Look, what really bugs me is that rape can be made into a decent, albeit dark, joke. And... It wasn't in the comic. We have all sorts of dramatic build up, the threat, the sheer horror of a person telling their victim that they must want it and they will force it on them. Even tears in his eyes.. Then... then... Wow. We cut to everybody taking their turn shitting on the victim. Not even a cute Snoopy homage did anything for it.

:/ As much as I've loved the comic and the characters, I found myself disgusted. The entire situation makes me think less of the supporting cast. His parents now seem like the people I want to punch. His girlfriend seems like the kind of person who I avoid. And even the woman helping Rebecca, who's name painfully eludes me, seems like somebody with her heart in the right place but helping the wrong person at this junction.

I suppose I should have seen this type of behavior coming when the same woman talked joked about taking her rights with Peter if she was living in a different time period for werewolf culture. That seemed like a guilt pleasure type of joke at the time though it now seems very... Disturbing.

I hate to say it but now I kinda wanting those creepy government types to capture them all. Couldn't be any worse than Peter's life right now and it would be just as amusing to watch all the other characters' lives go to shit.

One caveat, Jean is still awesome and seemed to be the only person who gave a rat's ass about Peter. She is still the sexy golden star of this universe.
O_O
DeathWyrmNexus
Just getting started

Postby MitchellTF » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:20 am

Remember, we still haven't seen Sarah's reaction on panel, to get her side of the story. I'm thinking she literally does not understand that Peter was nearly raped. It's stupid of her, but I'm hoping she'll be more sympathetic once someone is able to explain it to her. Jean was actually in the process of doing so, when Sarah reacted way too soon.

As for Peter. Yeah, he officially has Empowered level abilities to bounce back. If you don't get it, read the comic. It's good. Hopefully, someone will talk to him, and he'll be able to explain whether or not he was traumatized. Heck, even talk it over with Butch, maybe. Even though she did try to rape him, she stopped, and is clearly messed up, and knows she is.

I'm not going to stop reading the comic over this, or anything. After all, Kris himself has pointed out that the parents are making the wrong choice.

And, I think...this is probably being used to point out the whole double-standard thing. People dont' realize it could effect Peter. But it does, and their actions are wrong.
MitchellTF
Mountain climbing

Postby DeathWyrmNexus » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:03 pm

Um, I can't say I am exactly interested in Sarah's side of it... She is just another person getting their hits in on a rape victim. Being clueless just makes her look worse, especially since she has had time to think. Instead she is throwing his stuff out of their home and constantly freaking out. I really can't feel any empathy for her.

I also don't see what Peter's magical abilities to bounce back has to do with whether or not the treatment of him is horrible. Also, I don't think you should really present Stockholm Syndrome as awesome. He's so used to being abused that it is okay now? To be honest, how horrible does your life have to be that rape is almost a non-issue? The fact that people are rallying around his life being so bad that rape isn't a big deal just disturbs me a tiny bit more...
O_O
DeathWyrmNexus
Just getting started

Postby Slacker Spice » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:48 pm

Honestly, no, I don't think the whole situation with Peter is funny in the slightest.

However, I'm going to wait and see when we get something more with Sarah beyond what her reaction to what she saw as Id-wolf.
Slacker Spice
Sweater stretching

Postby Kris@WLP » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:50 pm

Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Kris@WLP » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:58 pm

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Kris@WLP » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:07 pm

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Henpecked » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Henpecked
Huge tracts o'land

Postby Blackjoker » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:42 am

Blackjoker
Button popping

Postby MrCelsius » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:35 am

Thanks for taking an interest, Kris, and for not taking the criticism personally.

It's just frustrating for me because I first tuned into PitW for the sexy and the fun. I appreciate that you're telling your story, but the entire sequence of Peter's captivity was a span of my tuning in, flinching, and tuning out. I was just waiting for that painful, triggering situation to be over, to hurry up and get to the salvation and happy and back to the fun, and... now that it's over the events following are just salt in the wound.

Good job not using humour in the actual rape, but I guess the 'post-rape victim being blamed for the rape' is just too... I think it's too horrible and too unfortunately realistic to play for laughs. The Snoopy ref was cute, but it read as all the more perverse for the situation of which it was making light.

Add in the fact that I know that I have a chip on my shoulder about men suffering (typically to comic effect) abuse which people would find unthinkable if the character were female, and the whole thing just squicks me hard. Hard enough to go to the trouble of figuring out how to log in here to growl about it which, considering my characteristic inertia, is saying something.
MrCelsius
Just getting started

Postby Northwolf » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:47 am

In our society, this is how male rape is treated. No one cares because the victim is a guy and most people think that getting tied up and raped is every guys sexual fantasy. He's supposed to be tough and it shouldn't bother him. If anything, the victim is made the butt of a lot of jokes. In reality, he feels like many female rape victims, but he just can't show it or even talk about it for fear of being made fun of. It's really a double standard, it's okay for a guy to get raped, but it's not okay if the victim is a girl.
Northwolf
Sweater stretching

Postby bar1scorpio » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:41 am

Of course, I guess a lot of what we do here plays with expectations, or is designed to mess with set storytelling. And I'm not sure what's allegorical (then again JRR Tolkein pointedly said nothing of his work was allegorical, so let's just put it at "applicable".) to anything outside of lycanthropy. Hence, what I think is going to become my signature shortly...
"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Blackjoker » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:29 pm

Blackjoker
Button popping

Postby Les » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:35 am

Les
Huge tracts o'land

Postby bar1scorpio » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:18 am

Yeah, the comedy here kinda goes in all directions, from sexy to sleazy, to goofy, to surreal, to cynical, to sarcastic & ironic, to mean-spirited & dark. And the frequent shout-outs.

But I worked a double-shift yesterday, 16 hours at the airport, and finally finished HP Lovecraft's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward god that stuff starts out ponderous. (Then again, it was designed to be serialized, but even still... when a major portion of the first couple chapters feels like a lengthy visit to geneology.com...) Picks up in all sorts of disturbing, action-packed ways though towards the end. (HPL does seem to enjoy his dungeon-crawls...)
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Les » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Les
Huge tracts o'land

Postby Kris@WLP » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:45 pm

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Happygun » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:50 am

Happygun
Violating the law of gravity

Postby bar1scorpio » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:42 pm

bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Next

Return to Peter is the Wolf