[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - I'm getting those feelings I kinda hate

I'm getting those feelings I kinda hate

For discussion of the web comic!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

I'm getting those feelings I kinda hate

Postby Aticston » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:41 am

Aticston
Button popping

Postby Blackjoker » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:37 am

One by one the penguins steal my sanity
Blackjoker
Button popping

Postby bar1scorpio » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:26 am

I really don't think anyone's going to roast you. You've consistently some of the best insights into these characters as you read, really.

And odd that... wow.. I never even thought of Peter's "heroic" points. Or of him really having any. But yeah, I guess some semblance of empathy is a rare quality in a teenager, really.
"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Kris@WLP » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:16 am

Aticston, you really aren't going to like the next page, I think. Sarah's going to unload about how she feels, and it's whiny and all about her.

Yes, most of the characters are thinking only about themselves. These are all teenagers, after all, as BAR-1 said. We will see signs of thinking of others in the next few pages... but Sarah's not going to be one for a while. She still has a big steaming cup of wake-up that hasn't been served her yet.

But for serious grown-up conversation, you're going to need parents... well, parents who have grown up. Gus Cramer and Walt and Sally Stubbe don't count. You also need calm times with nothing much happening... which, in terms of storytelling, are boring. Watching personalities go BANG against each other is much more interesting.

And there's also the problem that Sarah quite thoroughly blames Peter for her problem, which combined to the other embarrassments he's led her into during the story has made her disinclined to start any meaningful, sensitive conversations with him.

Hmm... actually, thanks, Aticston, you've just given me the opening few pages for the next chapter. NOT Sarah and Peter talking, but Sarah and someone else, perhaps...
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Happygun » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Owing to the the weekly update schedule and single page format the story seems to crawl along very slowly. It also forces the artist and writer to condense the story into only the critical scenes. This can lead to frustration on the part of long time readers who have been following the story since its inception and have yet to see any significant character development or conflict resolution. Unless the readers suddenly decide to contribute ~$4,000 a month so Bar1 can quit his day job and draw PitW professionally that's just the way it's going to be.

Also, frankly, I'm GLAD Sarah is going to unleash her own frustrations. Yes, she needs to buck up and realize it was HER decision that led to her current situation, but she has been kicked around a lot. Instead of giving her the acceptance, socialization, and positive reinforcement she needs the pack simply shut her up in the cabin and hoped for the best. Jean is too immature to recognize the hell that she's going through and Peter is...well, Peter.

In fact, I think selfishness/selflessness is another major theme in PitW. NONE of the major characters have demonstrated any significant degree of selflessness and have suffered for it. Even the most "enlightened" characters, such as Jean's parents and Peter's mother are pretty selfish; the comic aptly demonstrates the selfishness inherent in small groups thinking only for themselves. They can tell themselves over and over again that it's for "the Pack," but it's only a way of justifying their own fears, laziness, and selfish nature.
Happygun
Violating the law of gravity

Postby stormydragon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:54 pm

stormydragon
Mountain climbing

Postby Ganthan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:34 pm

Last edited by Ganthan on Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in no God, no invisible man in the sky.
-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

...and don't forget the ponies.
Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby stormydragon » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:40 pm

stormydragon
Mountain climbing

Postby Happygun » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:39 pm

Did it ever occur to any of you that we might be expecting TOO MUCH out of this comic? Seriously, this very well written stuff, but it's not like Ulysses or Thus Spoke Zarathustra or anything like that. I'm been guilty of over analyzing - probably more than most - and whining about it rarely helps.

Above all, don't do
Happygun

Postby Ganthan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:48 pm

-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Blackjoker » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:58 pm

Blackjoker
Button popping

Postby Kris@WLP » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:35 pm

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Kris@WLP » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:47 pm

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby Ganthan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:24 pm

-Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Ganthan
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Blackjoker » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:27 pm

Blackjoker
Button popping

Postby stormydragon » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:46 pm

stormydragon
Mountain climbing

Postby Usdom » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:59 pm

I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.

~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Usdom
Mountain climbing

Postby bar1scorpio » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:18 pm

"Then again, I'm Gary Busey. Who knows what the f-ck I'm talking about." - Gary Busey
bar1scorpio
Sierra Mist Abuser

Postby Happygun » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:51 pm

Happygun

Postby Blackjoker » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:18 pm

Blackjoker
Button popping

Postby tHEfOOL » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:30 pm

"And yay did cieling cat smite the sinner with ROTFLCOPTERS, for he knew not the sacrement of the bucket"
tHEfOOL
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Happygun » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:41 am

Last edited by Happygun on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happygun

Postby Usdom » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:05 am

I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.

~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Usdom
Mountain climbing

Postby Aticston » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:00 am

Aticston
Button popping

Postby Blackjoker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Blackjoker
Button popping

Next

Return to Peter is the Wolf