[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - wbd's General Art Thread

wbd's General Art Thread

Show off your art and stories here- but keep it out of the gutter!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

Postby wbd » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Hey, it's Fuuka Ayase, from "Yotsuba", with her BSA. This may require some explanation:

A few weeks ago, I got a Wii, and one of the Miis I created on it was Fuuka Ayase, from Yotsuba&!. Racing on the motorcycles in Mario Kart Wii inspired this picture, along with hearing about the series "Kino's Journey".

I figure that a middle-class family like the Ayase's could afford something like this BSA, but a Brough Superior would be outside of their budget.

As usual, drawn on paper, inked and colored in OpenCanvas. I had no end of trouble with the bike. Oh, and you can't see her helmet from this angle, but it's there.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:37 pm

Sometimes a spirit can't leave for the other side, and they linger on in the living world, trapped for one reason or another. That sad ghost you saw in that abandoned chapel seems harmless enough now, but it is alone, and slowly losing all that made it human. Soon it will hunger...

Not all will be consumed by that hunger. Some spirits are too strong for that, and their will drives them to become something far more powerful... and dangerous.

This one came about when I started thinking about how I'd like to draw something, and the eternal spoiler "AERIS DIES" reminded me about the ghost in the church scene, then that reminded me about spirits in Bleach, and how they become hollows. That led me to the Arrancar thing, and there you have it.

Drawn on paper, inked and colored in OpenCanvas 4.5.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby K-MacK » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:35 am

KMacK...
"You don't have to be invisible when everybody is looking the wrong way..."
Writing the series "Wulfen Blood"... getting ready for publication.
K-MacK
Violating the law of gravity

Postby wbd » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:10 pm

Thanks, I'm glad that you liked it! The bike is a bit of a pastiche, but it's mostly a BSA Blue Star... I thought that the Gold Star was a bit too high-end.

More art... time skip Amelia:
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:09 pm

So, here's Swan White from GaoGaiGar, in a bikini, riding a White Swan, sort of. Well, a carousel swan at a beachside amusement park.

I tried to draw Swan as close to "on model" as I could, but even then I still needed to make some concessions and adjustments.

I wanted to experiment with colors for this pic, so I did. I picked the start of a sunset for the color choices. Pencilled on paper, colored in OpenCanvas.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:17 pm

Just like the previous picture, here's Swan White still at the beachside amusement park, though it's a bit later in this picture (after sunset, as you can see). She's having a bit of fun at one of the little prize shooting galleries. I suspect they had to close off the other lanes temporarily owing to distractions, however.

Swan White is the American member of the GGG team in the anime series "GaoGaiGar". I tried to emphasize that a bit with the Lunar Lander and Space Shuttle, but really, I just like space-related stuff.

As usual, drawn on paper in pencil, inked and colored in OpenCanvas.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:43 pm

And here's the final pic in my "Swan White at the Beachside Amusement Park" series. She's having a bit of cotton candy, and waiting for the evening fireworks show. There's a nice quiet little field by the park where the view is great.

Again as with the other pics I tried to do something interesting with the lighting and colors.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:24 pm

Kanu finds another action figure, but she seems somewhat... stiff? Statue-like?

Kanu is being a little WALL-E-ish in this mini comic.

This came about because I didn't feel like doing anything productive.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:10 pm

Here's my original character, Mindy Taylor, cosplaying as Kanuka Clancy from "Patlabor". Patlabor is an older series, but I just picked up the OVAs made in 1989 or so. They are superb, and if you've ever wondered how a mecha unit works after all the shooty and fighty bits, Patlabor is for you. It deals less with the combat aspects, and more with the underlying parts and group dynamics.

Mindy previously had sorta blue-green hair, but I thought a more realistic hair color would suit her in the Patlabor theme. Now that I've done it, I'm thinking about keeping her hair color this way from now on. After all, most of my other characters have fairly normal hair colors.

As usual, pencilled on paper, inked and colored in OpenCanvas.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:11 pm

So, I picked up an action figure the other day- a Figma Kanu Unchou. What does this have to do with Yoko Ritona? Well, I was posing that figure, and I ended up with a really cool pose, and decided it would look good on a drawing.

So, I picked Yoko for the pose, and went down to my model building table where I was building a model of Yoko. I used the instructions pictures as guides, and got down to drawing.

Drawn in OpenCanvas. Special thanks to Kanu Unchou.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

MarioKart: Rated E for Everyone

Postby wbd » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:52 pm

Hey, I thought this was a family title:

wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:14 pm

It's Sephiroth and Aerith. Special thanks to Looney Toons.
Drawn on paper, inked and colored in OpenCanvas.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:46 pm

When you're out on the water, you need to remember your safety rules! First, wear plenty of sunscreen and a pair of sunglasses. Second, always keep your floatation device on. Third, make sure your machine is in top shape.

And finally, make sure you pay attention to your instructor!

--
A pic I figured I wanted to draw, so I drew it. I pencilled it on paper, and inked and colored it in OpenCanvas. I like cel-shading, I guess.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:42 pm

So, I look at Yuki Nagato, and I'm thinking, "man, she really reminds me of another character with blue short hair... a character who is quiet and doesn't speak all that much..." Yes, that's right- Chirico Cuvie!

What? Were you thinking of someone else?

Anyways, here's Yuki Cuvie, ace Scopedog pilot and all around quiet butt-kicker. You can tell that it's Yuki Cuvie and not Yuki Nagato by the eye color. Maybe I'll draw Kyonana later on. Ypsilon should be Ryoko, I think.

Chirico Cuvie is from Armored Trooper VOTOMS, which is quite possibly the best "real robot" mecha anime series I've ever seen. Once you get past the dated animation, you get to a really compelling and interesting story. It is very much well-written and worth watching. The robots aren't even that big.

I used my Figma Nagato Yuki to help me get the pose and look for Yuki right. I drew it on paper in pencil, then I scanned it and did the rest of the work in OpenCanvas. I made Yuki a bit taller and more mature looking to match Chirico, as he's 18 in VOTOMS.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Kris@WLP » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:40 pm

Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby wbd » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:41 pm

wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:51 pm

Hey, Mindy is getting a mecha! She's pretty excited about the whole thing- a mecha is a big deal. She just needs to find out what type.

I've decided to give my characters mecha for a couple reasons. The first is that it's easier to do action scenes with mecha versus say tanks or airplanes. Things that look like people can have emotion added more easily- and that counts big-time in a comedy comic. The second is that the comic will be taking place in space, and I figure that in deep space a mecha will be handier than a simple spacesuit.

It will all hopefully make sense later. Oh, and none of the mecha shown are representative of the final model. I am currently working on it. It revolves around a modular life-support pod that will serve as the base for several different mecha types.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:41 pm

So, let's take a different look at Sonic, perhaps a look at a Sonic from an entirely different world. Same heroism, different personality and different homeland.

My apologies go out to all the Knuckles fans.

I don't know if it's obvious enough, but his shirt's sleeve is ripped in the first panel.

Okay, part of the reason I drew this was to show that I do have at least some range in my artistic style. There are just certain styles and characters I prefer to draw.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:04 am

Here's Mai Shiranui, doing a bit of practice at night. Not really much else to say about the picture, I guess.

I used my Figma Yuki Nagato to help me get the pose right for this picture. It turned out to be a much trickier angle than I had initially thought.

I used OpenCanvas to sketch, ink and color this picture.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:35 pm

This is the second in my Slayers Time Skipped series (not much of a series, is it?). starring Lina Inverse several years on. The first was of Amelia. Slayers is a TV/OVA/manga/novel series that has run for many years. In fact, the first novel was released in 1990.

Lina:

The only problem I face with time-skipping Lina is that she is sorta time-skipped during the TV series. In the first season she was 16, and each subsequent one she was a year older. That means that by Slayers Try and Revolution, she was 18-19, which means she's pretty much done growing up. To draw her in "time skipped" form, in that case, just means drawing her like she looks in Try and Revo, which happens to look the same as she does in Next and the first series.

But back to this pic. As for her form, I based it on her older sister- hey, I figure that she'd be a good guide for how Lina would turn out, assuming things went differently than the TV story continuity. And I would sort of like to see a different continuity, after how badly the writers fumbled the latest release, Slayers Revolution.

You may notice boobs. Lina normally doesn't have ones of this size. I did this deliberately- I am tired of the writers running out of jokes and then adding yet another "HEY LINA IS FLAT" gag to the series. It's bad enough that they turned her somewhat amoral but still interesting and sincere character into a scenery-chewing maniac, but to give us the same lame jokes over and over again? Enough already. Lina with boobs means they can't tell flat chest jokes any more, and will need to find a new joke to ram into the ground.

This Lina is based off the personality of the first series Lina- the Lina who said clever things, was tough and resourceful, didn't get too mad unless warranted, and had a cute phase of cheering Zelgadis up. I liked that subtle Lina, and am hopeful that the writers will bring her back some day.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Deckhand Donald

Postby wbd » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:34 pm

Here's Donald Duck, taking a short break- I figure he earned it. We see a lot more of his shoreside adventures, probably because they are more interesting than watching Donald get up too frigging early and do the same chores over and over again.

I just wanted to draw something quick, so this is what I did.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:12 am

Hey, do you guys remember She-Ra: Princess of Power?

wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:35 pm

Uh-oh Latooni, it looks like Mai's brought out the big, er, um, guns...

Here's Ryusei Date, Mai Kobayashi and Latooni Subota in a classroom setting. They are all Banpresto Originals, and you may have seen them if you have played Super Robot Taisen Original Generations 1 and 2, or watched Divine Wars. These games involve giant robots punching one another. Shooting, too.

If you aren't familiar with them, hopefully the picture will be alright anyways. As a bit of backstory- in the game, both Latooni and Mai have a crush on Ryusei. Latooni is a 15-year-old mecha piloting prodigy. Ryusei is an 18-year-old mecha fanboy (who is another mecha piloting prodigy), and Mai Kobayashi is the older sister of Aya Kobayashi (let's leave it at that, because it gets very complicated if I try to explain it), and is, you guessed it, a mecha piloting prodigy.

And bringing me back to the school idea is my memory that in Junior High, the word "shenanigans" was always used with irony, rather than as an expression. If you ever used it without irony you would be mercilessly teased. This is because there were a number of powerfully stupid kids. In fact, I got made fun of for several months because of using the expression "up a creek without a paddle". The teasing stopped when they found out it really was an expression.

Oh boy, school was fun for me.

Anyways, this picture was drawn on paper, inked and colored in OpenCanvas and took entirely too long to get done.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:42 pm

A New Warrior Appears:

Lured by the promise of wealth, fame and power, many fighters have arrived for an important tournament. How could the beautiful magician and warrior Lina Inverse possibly resist such a call! The Queen's Blade tournament welcomes a new fighter.

As she is far away from her normal lands, her standard black magic will not work, but fortunately her other techniques will suit her just fine. At any rate, they weren't going to let her use the Dragon Slave in the tournament, so there's no big loss there.

With some additional swordsmanship training, she's a dangerous opponent. Her magic is mostly limited to healing, and a defensive spell that resembles a circular shield (you can see a bit of it on her left armband).

I think she may be a bit annoyed about the damage to her cape, however.

Lina used a sword in the first TV series, so I brought it back for her. I looked up online some info on sword fighting, and settled on some broadsword techniques for similarly sized swords as the one Lina carries. Apparently the form she has chosen in this picture is the "High Ward", which allows for both a powerful strike or a strong defense. By mixing up forms, she can confuse her foe, and land blows.

Art Information:
Anyways, I drew this on... no, wait, I didn't draw this on paper. I used my Figma Haruhi to help get the pose right, then I sketched the form using my tablet, and inked over the sketch. I used my Slayers Artbook to get the costuming right.

This is Lina's costume from the early novels, so that's why it looks different from what you may be familiar with. I picked it because I thought it looked more like something you'd see in the Queen's Blade universe.

Actually, it should be "Queen's Gate", as Lina is a character from another series, and the Queen's Gate spin-off contains all the characters from other series- like Mai Shiranui, Iroha and others. I put it as Queen's Blade to make searching a bit easier.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:01 pm

Hey, look, it's Tifa Lockheart, wearing a futuristic bikini, and standing in a lagoon! Perhaps she wants you to join her.

wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

PreviousNext

Return to Creativity R We