[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
White Lightning Productions • View topic - wbd's General Art Thread

wbd's General Art Thread

Show off your art and stories here- but keep it out of the gutter!

Moderators: Kris@WLP, bar1scorpio, Codewolf

Postby llearch » Sun May 18, 2008 4:59 am

I'm halfway tempted to set up and rehost this into a comic archive on my server, rather than being buried in DA.

'course, that would involve permission, etc, and willing on your part...
I'm not really that talkative, I just think I have a lot to say.
llearch
Huge tracts o'land

Postby wbd » Sun May 18, 2008 7:22 pm

(Edit- Unfortunately this link is dead, so I've removed it.)
Last edited by wbd on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby llearch » Tue May 20, 2008 5:43 pm

Heh. No worries.

... at least half of the reason for doing so would be to make it easier for me. ;-]
I'm not really that talkative, I just think I have a lot to say.
llearch
Huge tracts o'land

Postby wbd » Wed May 21, 2008 9:20 pm

Hatsune Miku, singing:

Edit- Unfortunately this link is dead, so I've removed it.

I used my Haruhi Suzumiya Figma action figure to help get the pose right.

I wasn't feeling very inspired, so I didn't do much for a background.
Last edited by wbd on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Mon May 26, 2008 5:58 pm

Here's Nene, enjoying a quiet break in the garden... in a swimsuit. I guess she's going to get some sunbathing in. A nice garden can be just as good as any beach, and better if the beaches nearby are really crowded.

This picture came about because I've caught a cold that turned a bit nasty, so I have to stay home and rest. So, I figured I'd make something fun to help feel better.

Pencils were by hand, all the rest was done in OpenCanvas. I'm learning a bit about layers as I work.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Fri May 30, 2008 10:59 pm

Here's Mindy Adele Taylor, the star of my practice comic, and one of my main original characters, getting in a bit of reading in a suitably tropical and pleasant location.

The book's pages are blank from our view because they are e-ink, and visible at only certain angles and distances. That, and I didn't feel like adding lots of fiddly detail there.

I inked and colored this pic in OpenCanvas, and tried to fiddle around a bit when making the background as a learning experience. Hopefully it turned out.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:16 pm

And now, page 8 of my practice comic. We're starting to move into the action section- at least, it'll be there in a couple pages or so.

This page is a bit late- lots of stuff was happening, including a cold that wouldn't go away (and another cold that I caught just after it did!) that interrupted production on this page, and delayed it. At least it's done now.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:59 pm

Here's Nikki, from my practice comic "Thin Lines of Civilization". Nikki works at a local ice-cream shop in the same town as Mindy. Ice cream shops are popular around the region- it's easy to make, the supplies are readily available and it's nice to have a cool treat when you can, especially after a lot of hard work.

The ice cream shops grew up as an alternative to the more rowdy saloons, and it didn't take long for the shopkeepers to note that outfits like the one Nikki is wearing would attract more business.

Nikki is the best employee at her shop- she's good at making the ice cream as well as serving it, and never complains when it comes to moving heavier stuff or cleaning up.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:12 pm

And here's page nine of my comic:
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:29 pm

I've been watching Armored Trooper Votoms lately, and while I like it for the writing and pacing, it is a really grim story. Beyond that, it made me want to draw a Scopedog, and for some reason, put Komaki Manaka from To Heart 2 into it.

Hmm, I guess she has a few things in common with Chirico- he met a strange woman and his life changed, she met a really ordinary boy and her life changed. He's fighting for his life against powers much greater than him, she's fighting to put barcodes on all the books in the library storage area.

Apparently in this alternate universe, she's doing more than representing her class as president.

Drawn on paper, inked and colored in OpenCanvas. I tried using the oil painting brush for most of the pic, but I switched to one of the watercolors for Manaka herself- it just seemed to work better for her.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:22 pm

Here's page 10 of my practice comic series.

This probably wasn't an absolutely necessary page, but I had it in the plan, so I decided to go with it. By drawing it, I also gave myself some time to think about the next few pages- I think I want to change some of the action around.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:11 pm

Well, things have been pretty busy for me lately, but I had time to get something quick done. I wanted to draw a pic of Swan White from GaoGaiGar, and that's what I've done. Here she is, in a swimsuit. Nothing especially complex about that.

wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:12 pm

Some photography, this time...

Here's a few photos I took of my Figma action figure- Yuki Nagato, to be precise. Figma work out to be roughly 1/12 scale or so, and 1/144 Gundam equipment seems to fit them quite nicely.

If you've got some old Gundam weapons and equipment lying about, it makes for handy props for the figure.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:17 pm

Hey, it's sunset, and time for a bit of a party beachside. Here's Mai Shiranui, Shayla-Shayla, Kiyone Makibi, Nene Romanova and Kusuha Mizuha to help make it a fun one.

This pic was drawn because my birthday was rapidly approaching. I managed to get it done on my birthday.
I had intended to get several pieces done for my birthday, but lots of crappy events intervened and took my free time away from me.

When times get stressful for me, I tend to work on simpler pics that are pleasing to me- like this picture.

I had trouble getting this pic right. I got to the inks on the first run through and didn't like the results, so I took it back to the pencils and tried again. I think this is better, but also the boobs got a bit big. Oh well.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Kris@WLP » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:33 pm

For heaven's sake, don't complain about making the boobs bigger HERE. }:-{D

One comment: this image, more than others, shows off a lack in your artwork- line variance. Coloring does not make up for lack of line variance- you really need to make some lines (outlines, stuff closer to viewer, stuff you want to highlight) thicker than others (contours, minor details, background).

It's not so obvious in other pictures, I suppose, but in this one with multiple people at different distances from the viewer it's glaring. It hurts perspective and the illusion of three-dimensionality, undoing to an extent what you've done in that regard with the coloring.

I do like the poses and arrangement, though.
Kris@WLP, local head honcho
www.wlpcomics.com
PLEEZ, ORDER THE PETER IS THE WOLF TPBs!
http://www.peteristhewolf.com/tpb.html
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby wbd » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:35 pm

I think the problem is that if I draw in the anime style, I have to use a fairly thin line, which makes it hard to differentiate thickness. I will have to look into this further.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Kris@WLP » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:17 am

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby wbd » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:42 pm

I've been in a slump with my comic pages lately, so I needed to get something together quickly. Not the best in the way of layout, to be sure- it takes up too much of the page for too little action. On the other hand, it gets me moving again.

I wanted to make sure you hated the brigands, so I bring you ROBOCROTCH. Right in your face- that's how those brigands roll.

Page 11:

wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:15 pm

This is Mirai Suenaga, the mascot character from Danny Choo's website,
If you're interested in figures, or in some great photos of Japan and more, you should check his site out.

The pic was inspired by the post Danny made where he combined his Figma Haruhi with his Sonic Diver Reijin, and took some neat pics:

So, here's Mirai in a Bubblegum-Crisis-esque hardsuit. I picked a colour scheme similar to her standard uniform.

As usual, I sketched it by hand, and inked it and coloured it in OpenCanvas.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:34 pm

This picture started out with me wanting to draw a picture of The Tick, who is the most awesome superhero to have leapt from the pages of comicdom. Inspiration struck when I idly drew him holding a weapon which rapidly became a leek. The leek is tied inextricably to the Vocaloid Hatsune Miku, so I drew her in, too, after making suitable adjustments to her costume to have it fit the super-heroic mould.

So, here's Hatsune Miku, the Vocaloid, and The Tick, the Superhero.

This was pencilled by hand, then I scanned it in and inked and colored it in OpenCanvas. I finally learned the hotkey for lasso select, too, but it takes me a few tries to get it.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Kitsune » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:37 pm

I had to replace my scanner. Here's the first test of the new scanner. Image
Kitsune
Feeling strange

Postby wbd » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:31 am

Hi Kitsune,

Are you sure you want to post that in my art thread? It may get lost amongst my pictures as a result. It may be better to make a new thread for your art, to make it more easy to find.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby wbd » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:04 pm

Hey, here's another pic of Nene Romanova from Bubblegum Crisis in a swimsuit by the beach. Not exactly original, I know.

I haven't been working on a lot of projects lately, but I have been practicing.

I wanted to get something done, so I drew a relatively quick pic of Nene, and tried some new tricks coloring it. I think I prefer cel shading in the end, however.
wbd
Hyperspatial cleavage

Postby Kris@WLP » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:18 pm

www.wlpcomics.com
Kris@WLP
Reprobate in Chief

Postby K-MacK » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:53 pm

KMacK...
"You don't have to be invisible when everybody is looking the wrong way..."
Writing the series "Wulfen Blood"... getting ready for publication.
K-MacK
Violating the law of gravity

PreviousNext

Return to Creativity R We